Saturday, February 25, 2012

San Francisco Botanical Garden

Yesterday was gorgeous!  I'm not trying to brag, I'm just stating the facts.  It was sunny with a high of about 70.  Blue blue blue sky.  I have had this week off of work and Travis had yesterday off, so I couldn't just sit around the house!  We have been talking about going to San Francisco for a while, but always changed our minds at the last minute for one reason or another, so this trip has kind of been a long time coming.  We haven't been to do much at the Golden Gate Park, so we spent most of our day there.  Our first stop: the San Francisco Botanical Garden.

Yes, I know that it's February.  We weren't expecting much of anything to be blooming, and that's what we got.  haha  Despite the lack of color, we had a great time walking around.  They have some awesome trees there, so most of our pictures are of those.  :)  It's got quite a lot to see, and we spent more than an hour and a half inside.  One of the most fun areas was the Redwood Grove.

{Redwood Grove}
Travis took the picture in the middle.

{Sun Beams}
The only plants blooming were the Magnolia Trees.  Beautiful!

{Magnolias}
We saw a lot of squirrels while we walked around, and sometimes they even acted like they were following us.  :)  They were cute, and here are my 2 favorite pictures of the squirrels from yesterday.



Since we went on a Thursday late morning/early afternoon, there were not very many people there.  It was quite, peaceful, and just plain nice to be outside.

{Little Waterfall}
In addition to the Redwood Grove, there were many other tall, impressive trees throughout the garden.  Unfortunately, I don't know what all of them were, but the picture below on the left is a Monterey Pine tree.


One of the sections in the garden was the Ancient Plant Garden.  They had various plants that grew throughout Earth's different time periods.  It was really cool to see plants that dinosaurs probably ate.  Below is a map of the different time periods, as well as a sign we found inside the Ancient Plant Garden.

{Don't Steal the Ancient Plants...}
The Botanical Garden was not the only thing we did yesterday, but the rest will be saved for my next post.  We really enjoyed the botanical garden!  I'm looking forward to going back again in a couple of months to see all the flowers that bloom in the springtime.  To leave you for now, I'll give you a picture of Travis impersonating Beethoven.  ;)

{Don't Mess with Beethoven}

No comments:

Post a Comment