Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Onesies

I was looking at Pinterest one day and saw a post for a baby onesie.  It was a plain, light pink onesie with the words "Muggle Born" across the chest in black Harry Potter font.  Of course, I thought it was awesome!  I am by no means a closet Harry Potter fan.  I have read all of the books at least 5 times each, and own all of the movies, too.  I probably know more about Harry Potter than I should, and I bet I could answer almost any question you throw at me about it.  (I'm not afraid to admit how nerdy I really am.)

Anyway, the link on Pinterest took me to some lady's Etsy shop.  Let me just stop right here and say that I am not a fan of Etsy.  (I hope I don't offend anyone.)  Let's be honest, people are selling handmade items that I could probably just make for myself at a fraction of the cost.  Case in point, this onesie.  The lady was selling it for $18 plus shipping!  hahaha  Right.  No thank you.

So I decided that I had to just make my own.  :)

I went to Walmart and bought Avery Light Fabric Transfers (six 8.5x11 sheets for about $8.50), and four plain white onesies for about $8.  I'm already ahead of the game, since I now have the supplies to make 4 onesies for only $17.


I downloaded Harry Potter fonts here for free.  I used Photoshop to make the words look embossed and have a glow.  I flipped the image backwards, printed it on the fabric transfer, cut it out, and ironed it onto the onesie.  Easy!


Of course, I didn't just print ONE image onto each transfer.  I was able to fit at least 3 on each page, which brought the total cost of each onesie to about $2.50 + ink.  I was having so much fun, that Travis and I went out to buy more onesies.  Here is the aftermath:

2 more Harry Potter onesies

a Lord of the Rings onesie
(LOTR fonts can be downloaded for free at this website.)
a Blue Devils onesie

and (of course) a Texas onesie

We had to buy the onesies in packs, so we actually have 3 more onesies that have yet to be created.  Anyone have any ideas for us??  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment