Saturday, April 2, 2011

Instrumentally Challenged

So last night I finally got to go to one of Travis' concerts!  It was great and he was amazing!  :)  I have a funny story from the experience, so I thought I'd share it with you.

The auditorium was fairly crowded, so I ended up sitting down with no open seat buffer zone.  The older man to my left was chatty, and when I sat down the conversation began...

Before the concert started.
Man:  So are you with the band?
Me:  Yes, my husband plays the euphonium in the band.
Man:  The euphoriun?
Me:  you-phone-ee-um
Man:  Oh, euphonium.  What's a euphonium?
Me:  It's like a little tuba.  He'll be sitting in the back row.
Man:  I used to know a couple of people who played...  the bassoon?
Me:  Oh, the long, skinny instrument that's tall?
Man:  No, no, it's big like this. (man proceeds to demonstrate how it looks to play this big instrument)
Me:  Oh, I think you mean a tuba.
Man:  A tuba?  Well, they both played it, but then she retired so they could have kids.  I think it's a bassoon, though...

During intermission, right before the second half started.
Man:  So is that your husband there?  (points in Travis' direction)
Me:  Yes, that's him sitting between the trombones and tubas.
Man:  So he switches instruments, right?
Me:  No, he just plays euphonium.
Man:  No, I think I saw him switch instruments.
(Band members begin sitting on stage to start the second half.)
Man:  See?  There's two tubas, he switched instruments.
Me:  No, there are two tubas and he's sitting next to them with the smaller instrument.
Man:  Oh...  He switched seats.

:)  I thought it was so funny...  Maybe you had to be there?

No comments:

Post a Comment